How can you help someone understand their healthcare options? 

One of the most important issues to a disability benefits recipient is healthcare coverage.  Close communication is necessary with the local County Assistance office as well as the Social Security Administration. Reporting monthly income and job wages keeps them informed and helps to prevent overpayment as well as loss of healthcare benefits.

If you work, you CAN still keep your healthcare benefits. The following healthcare options become available based on your current income and job earnings:

Extended Medicare - People who receive SSDI can keep Medicare for years after their cash payments are put on hold or cancelled due to working. This is provided as long as the individual can still claim disability status.

1-800-MEDICARE, a toll-free telephone number,  has been set up to help people with Medicare understand the Medicare prescription drug coverage and determine if they qualify for the extra help paying for prescription drugs. Callers can use the automated system to get information about Medicare prescription drug coverage.

Extended Medicaid - People who are receiving SSI can continue to receive Medicaid (medical assistance) even if they are working and their earned income is too high to qualify for SSI cash payments.

Medicaid Buy-In - In Pennsylvania, qualified people with disabilities who work can purchase their own Medicaid through Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD) at a low monthly cost. MAWD is available to people who are between ages 16 and 64, employed and receiving payment. One of the features of MAWD is that there are more allowable resources than other Medicaid options.

Website users can also go to: to apply online for medical assistance (Medicaid) and Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD) programs. Individuals can also apply for MAWD by calling: 1-800-692-7462 (TTD: 1-800-451-5886) Website users can also apply online at:


If you have a physical disability, the Attendant Care Waiver and state funded Act 150 program may be available to you to continue to live in your home and community with support and services. 

For more information on the Attendant Care Waiver/Act 150 Program, please visit the Office of Long-Term Living.

You may also be eligible for Home & Community Based waiver services; view this informational fact sheet: Home & Community Based Waivers

To find out more information about other community service programs, view this informational fact sheet: Community Services Program for Persons with Physical Disabilities

Website on health care information for individuals with disabilities: